Anchorage Grandparents Rights Lawyer

Alaska Grandparent Visitation Attorney

The family law courts of Alaska recognize a right of grandparents to seek visitation with their grandchildren. Unfortunately, it sometimes comes down to a courtroom fight when one or both parents are opposed to access.

The Law Office of Maurice N. Ellis represents grandparents seeking the right to spend regular time with a grandchild. Mr. Ellis has also represented grandparents petitioning for full custody when the parents are deceased, absent or unfit. Based in Anchorage, Mr. Ellis handles family law cases in Wasilla, Palmer, Seward, Kenai and throughout the state of Alaska and has represented clients from all parts of the United States.

Anchorage Grandparents’ Rights Attorney

Under established law in Alaska, grandparents have standing to (a) bring a separate claim for visitation or (b) to assert a claim for visitation within in a case brought by one parent in a divorce or child custody action.

There are many scenarios in which grandparents are suddenly cut out of the picture. Most commonly, one of the parents has sole or primary custody and won’t let the father’s parents visit the kids. Or perhaps one of the parents is in jail, or has abandoned the child, leaving the grandparents no choice but to seek access to their grandchildren through the custodial parent.

The courts generally yield to the wishes of the custodial parent(s). However, the objections of the parents can be overcome when it is possible to show that the grandparent has an established relationship with the grandchild and that it is in the best interests of the child to continue to spend time with Grandma and/or Grandpa.

Maurice Ellis is a skilled trial lawyer with years of experience in Alaska family court. He can determine if you have reasonable grounds to request grandparent visitation and prepare a compelling argument for the court.

Grandparent Child Custody

Grandparents do not have any special preference in petitions for custody. They have the same standing as other third parties. In order to grant custody to a grandparent (or an adult sibling, or other relative), the court must find that the parents are unfit and that the grandparents have supported, sheltered and essentially raised the child. Mr. Ellis can help you assess your legal standing, and help you take the right steps to assume legal and physical custody of a grandchild.

Experienced Advocate for Grandparents’ Rights

Maurice Ellis can readily answer all your questions about grandparent visitation or custody. Call 907-258-1239 or contact him online.